We have been informed of the following Maritime casualties which we believe may be of urgent interest to you:

Vessel Destination: EUROPE

“AVALON” –  IMO:9387322 – Flag: Netherlands – Type: General Cargo Ship                      

On March 1, the “Avalon” suffered significant damage at starboard side during the transit of the Ghent-Terneuzen Canal having just sailed from Antwerp bound to Sluiskil. The ship allided wtih a few mooring bollards near Terneuzen suffering breaches on several meters length and a crack in a ballast water tank which spilled out. The accident took place around 10 a.m. The ship hit the quay and the poles due to the strong wind. A salvage company moved the ship to the quay along the way Terneuzen-Sas van Gent. 

“EUGEN MAERSK” – IMO:9321550 – Flag: Denmark – Type:  Container Ship

On March 3, the “Eugen Maersk” suffered a technical malfunction short after leaving the port of Hamburg.  The ship had to be emergency anchored on the Elbe off Stade. For more than one hour the river was totally blocked for ships with a length of more than 120 meters. Tugs secured the ship during the repairs. Then the crew had fixed the problem, and the ship continued its voyage to Antwerp. It finally reached the port of Antwerp on March 4 and docked at berth 1742 – PSA in the Deurgang Dock.

“SPIRIT II” – IMO:9645413 – Flag: Singapore – Type: Tanker

On March 3, the “Spirit II” suffered a main engine failure. The crew has effected repair works and the tanker was now underway again on its voyage from Gelendzhik to Butinge, carrying 15.119 metric tonnes of crude oil and a crew of 23 on board.

Vessel Destination: UNKNOWN

“DIONYSUS” – IMO:9696515 – Flag: Liberia – Type: Bulk Carrier

On March 1, the Avon Fire and Rescue was called to Royal Portbury Dock in Bristol to attend a fire in the hold of the “Dionysus” which was carrying animal feed for import. An excavator in the hold of the ship had caught fire. The Port’s established safety procedures and the Fire Brigade’s prompt action brought the fire under control. 11 fire appliances, including two turntable ladders and the water safety boat, were on scene. One port operative was taken to Southmead as a precaution, but all other staff resumed their duties.